Photo courtesy of U.S. Senator Mike Enzi.

Enzi announces retirement

Speaking at the city hall in his hometown of Gillette, Friday, Senator Mike Enzi announced he will not seek re-election after his current term ends.

Enzi has served in Washington for 22 years, the longest run in ever in the senate by an elected official from Wyoming. Speaking through tears at time, Enzi said he has much to accomplish in the next 18 months and does not want to be distracted by another election campaign.

Enzi was sworn in as Wyoming’s 20th United States Senator on January 7, 1997. Before that, Enzi served in the Wyoming Legislature for 10 years where he chaired the revenue committee. Enzi said Friday that he applied the lessons learned at the state house to his job in the U.S. Senate.

Enzi believes that people can agree on 80 percent of the issues 80 percent of the time and if they leave the other 20 percent out they can reach bi-partisan agreements. It’s a rule that has worked.

Enzi said of the more than 100 bills he authored in Washington, none ever saw more than 15 votes in opposition. Enzi currently chairs of the Budget Committee and a member of the Finance Committee, Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee and the Joint Committee on Taxation.

Click here to read Enzi’s entire speech announcing his retirement.

 

Photo: Cali O’Hare/Bigfoot 99.

Public invited to urban deer committee meeting

In Rawlins, the Urban Mule Deer Advisory Group will present its findings and recommendation to City Council Tuesday night concerning the nuisance urban deer herd in the city.

During its presentation, group is expected to explain how it reached its recommendation to thin out the herd. The public is invited to provide feedback during the meeting. Cali O’Hare reports.

Urban Mule Deer Advisory Group Public Presentation:
Public invited to hear presentation and provide feedback
– Tuesday, May 7th, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. 
– Rawlins City Hall, 521 W. Cedar St., Rawlins

 

 

Click to view full survey results.

Platte Valley healthcare committee to share survey results

The Platte Valley Healthcare Sustainability Project Committee will share results from their Healthcare Needs Assessment survey on Wednesday evening at the Platte Valley Community Center.

Results are currently available on the committee’s website. Emma Diercks took a look.

Platte Valley Healthcare Sustainability Project Public Meeting
Public invited to hear presentation and provide feedback
– Wednesday May 8th, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
– Platte Valley Community Center, 210 W Elm St., Saratoga

 

I-80 construction begins near Fort Steele

Motorists on Interstate 80 should be prepared for more construction near Fort Steele this summer. The second half of a project to resurface the road and bridge over the North Platte River near the rest area is scheduled to begin today.

The project is a continuation of work performed last year in the eastbound lanes. This year’s construction will be along six miles of the westbound lanes from mile marker 227 to 233.

Once construction begins, traffic will be moved into a two-lane, head to head configuration. The work is scheduled to last most of the summer.

 

Photo: Cali O’Hare/Bigfoot 99.

Hands of Friendship dinner helps Rawlins nonprofits

Thanks to the donations that came in as a result of the 2019 Hands of Friendship fundraising dinner, three nonprofit organizations in Rawlins have a little extra cash to support their programs. Cali O’Hare has the details.

 

 

County teams deliver another strong weekend

The county high schools fared well over the weekend as they ran and jumped against some of the top talent across the state. Joey Saverine has the story.

More Highlights:
  • Wyoming football releases spring depth chart
  • Broncos complete 90 man off-season roster

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here